Saturday, May 26, 2012

Find a good copy editor

Okay, I'm finally going to dip my toe in the blogging pool.  My first post is addressed to indie authors.  One blog I follow regularly is The Passive Voice.  A post there yesterday regarding the benefits of a good copy editor reminded me of a short piece of fiction that I read recently by a well-known (and mega selling) indie author.  One of the main characters in this story is a truck driver and he mentions the "carburetor" on his big rig.  Well, over the road big rig tractors have diesel engines and diesel engines don't have carburetors.  Never have.  A diesel engine runs unthrottled and the fuel is delivered by direct injection to the combustion chambers.  Find a copy editor who will catch mistakes like that (or at least recognize it as a fact that needs to be checked) and you've got a copy editor who will make you a more credible writer.


No comments:

Post a Comment